PROJECT: Upper Kidd’s Creek Hydro-Geomorphic Assessment Study
CLIENT: Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority / City of Barrie
DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT:
- Water’s Edge was engaged by Lake Simcoe Region CA to prepare an assessment and channel design of a severely impacted reach of Kidds Creek in the City of Barrie.
- Field reconnaissance was undertaken with both rapid and detailed geomorphic assessments completed throughout.
- A topographic survey was completed of the study reaches and blended with the City of Barrie DEM to create a project base plan.
- Design concepts and drawings addressed environmental requirements in order to provide stability or dynamic stability and enhance the downstream translation of cold water to lower reaches containing fish populations that include Brook Trout, within given physical constraints.
- Each design alternative was evaluated based on a set of natural environments, economic, and social/cultural criteria to allow the report to be included within a future Municipal Class Environmental Assessment.
- A proposed phasing plan was developed to addresses immediate concerns within the reach where there is a high risk to public safety due to erosion of the road embankment.
- Phase 1 design has been approved by LSRCA while Phase 2 designs are currently in review – both Phases are to be constructed in Summer 2019.
SERVICES PROVIDED: Hydrogeomorphic Assessment and Selection of Preliminary Preferred Alternative
DATE OF PROJECT: 2016-2017